- Swimming - Definition | WordIQ.com - Dictionary, Encyclopedia and ...
Swimming is the method by which humans (or other animals) move themselves through water. Swimming is a popular recreational activity, particularly in ...
- Swimming has long been regarded as a useful activity and has been variously applied—most prominently for recreational, occupational, and sport purposes. Types of swimming These include:
- Recreational swimming.
- Occupational swimming.
- Competitive swimming.
Swimming can be done in various ways possible like freestyle, backstroke and butterfly stroke.
Swimming can be called a complete cardiovascular activity. The importance of swimming in our day to day life cannot be emphasized enough. Besides the fact that it is one of the most relaxing exercises possible, the importance of swimming can also be seen from the fact that it is a low impact exercise while being equally affective when compared with other high impact workouts. Swimming can be done in various ways possible like freestyle, backstroke, butterfly stroke and underwater swimming to name a few. The importance of swimming in different ways can be summarized as follows:
1. Freestyle Swimming
The importance of swimming in freestyle is probably the most significant. It is the most popular stroke besides...
What is Freestyle Swimming?: Tips From the Fantastic1 Nantasket Triathlon Coach
1. Heads Up
Our Triathlete Coaching Staff will always have you begin swimming freestyle to focus on how your body is in the water. Your head should be in line with your spine and you should be looking forward towards the wall. This may seem uncomfortable since you are basically moving your head to look straight upward but this position allows you to see where you are going and helps decrease drag as you move through the water. If you lower your head, you are creating an obstacle for the water to move around...
Backstroke is the only official swimming stroke to be swum on the back and the second slowest stroke in competitive swimming. The advantage of Backstroke is that it makes breathing easier but it also means that the swimmer cannot see where they are going.
The backstroke is akin to the crawl, except that you float on your back in the water. The arms are moved in a similar alternating windmill motion, and the legs a kicked in a similarly fluttering motion. The two basic techniques of a correct backstroke are: One, that the arms are moved with equal force, or else you will find yourself swimming off towards one side; Two, that the body should be rolled from one side to the other, so that the arms extend to their utmost reach, to propel you...
– How to Swim the Breaststroke
The breaststroke is one of the difficult styles of swimming and it requires technique and practice to master it. It is done by strong pulls, froglike kicking and a long glide.
- Keep the legs together near the chest. Hold the palms together as if praying.
- Kick out with your leg and then squeeze them together. After kicking streamline your body and extend the arms completely.
- Glide for...
The Butterfly Stroke: The butterfly swim stroke has a special place among the competitive strokes. It has a reputation for being hard to learn. But once you have mastered it, swimming a few lengths of butterfly is a lot of fun! The butterfly is the second fastest stroke after front crawl.
The Butterfly Stroke
Less-Known Swim Strokes
The Side Stroke: The side stroke is an ancient swim stroke swum on the side using a scissor kick and asymmetric arm motions. As it is not used in swimming competitions, it is swum less often nowadays. Nevertheless it can be a welcome change from the popular swim strokes...
Swimming provide cardiovascular benefits is running and vice versa, this will pave the way for you to achieve the benefits of strength training weight.
- Swimming is good exercise, which has found that not only beneficial to the human body, but also ideal for relaxing the mind of people who think that. In summer, it serves as an excellent selection of exercises that help you burn calories while your body cooling. The swimming pool offers the best of both worlds. On the one hand, provide cardiovascular benefits is running and vice versa, this will pave the way for you to achieve the benefits of strength training weight. Storage swimming health benefits is very broad, so that aerobic training current demand. we will discuss more about the benefits of swimming.Health Benefits PoolPool * helps maintain blood pressure and cholesterol in a person, ensure the welfare of his heart.* It's good for the health of their lungs and also reduce the risk of myocardial infarction, stroke...
Benefits of cardiovascular activity
Swimming is the best exercise as it activates all the major muscle groups in your body, but the benefits of a swimming workout go further than just muscle strength. Regular swimmers get an overall conditioning, which includes a great improvement on their cardiovascular system. Even just training twice or three times a week you will increase your lactate threshold. This means, your lungs and your heart will be able to support your body during the training effort with more oxygen and a more efficient use of it to fuel your muscles. You will then be able to train harder and improve further or simply to last longer doing any physical exercise for your body. A better fitness level in your body will bring great benefits to your life balance. You will lower your sugar levels, burn calories, and feel mentally stronger to face the...
Safe Swimming Tips
Regular swimming builds endurance, muscle strength, stamina, and cardiovascular fitness. Fitness swimming can burn more calories than running or cycling. Follow these tips to maximize your workout:
- Plan your swimming routine to build strength and endurance (for example try swimming a series of sprints followed by brief rests).
- Before you start swimming take a few minutes to warm up by stretching your arms and shoulders, chest, lower back, and legs.
- Relax and focus on the rhythm of your stroke and breathing.
- Alternate different strokes to work different muscle groups.
- Once you finish swimming, cool down gradually.
- Drink plenty of fluids before and...
Swimming tips for beginners can greatly help those beginners out there to improve their swimming performance. Swimming tips for beginners are also helpful in starting a good swimming career. Everyone newbie swimmer needs swimming tips for beginners since this will serve as their armors in battling out much tougher battles. Here are the best beginner tips for swimming.
Swimming tip for beginners #1:
- As a beginner, do not try to over attempt your swimming session duration. In the initial stages, don’t swim for more than 15-20 minutes. Also maintain a slow pace when starting off.
Swimming tip for beginners #2:
The first swimming tips would encourage a person to master at least one kind of swimming stroke. The most common strokes used, which should be kept in mind while reading on these swimming tips, are the breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly and freestyle strokes. The breaststroke involves proper timing of arm pulling, breathing and kicking, which allows the body to surface up and down while gliding forward through the water. The butterfly is more difficult as it involves a dolphin kick, arm pull, and a wormlike torso glide. The backstroke is swimming face-up with backward windmill arm strokes and flutter kicks. The freestyle, a.k.a the crawl, is like the backstroke but done on one’s belly.
The second swimming tips would tell people to wear the proper swimming attire. For women, there are one-piece or two-piece...
Swimming is not only the water splashing activity but it has lot to do with body fitness if done properly with swimming gears on regular basis and not temporary just to have fun. If you are looking for recreation and fun then swimming is considered as to be complete recreation activity. Water is so good to splash because density of water is very similar to that of human body and so water supports the body and makes it stress free. By swimming properly with all strokes you can actually benefit its medicinal properties also which enables you to stay in perfect shape. Swimming activity always makes your limbs stronger that are fitness freak and keen about swimming. You can increase your fitness level and maintain a good blood circulation by...
Running is an excellent form of cardio exercises, as it helps to increase your heart beat rate along with helping you to lose a lot of calories which directly translates to weight loss! Going for a 30 min run, regularly, helps you to build up a strong set of legs with toned muscles along with protecting you from a bevy of diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular diseases.
When it comes to exercise we all have our individual ways of working out. Running is one of the best exercises to improve cardiovascular fitness, but just as you get different types of running (jogging, sprinting, etc) you also get different running styles. The type of running style you do will depend on your training goal, which will influence the speed at which you run, as well as the physical strain you exert on yourself. The type of running shoe you use may also imp[act this, especially if you buy cheaper makes found on plastic recycling hangers in general shops, as opposed to specialised shoe stores.
After considerable analysis just three different running styles have been identified, and these are distinguished by the...
It is best to wear shoes designed for the type of running you will be doing.
6 Types of Running Shoes
When you are looking to maximize the performance and safety of your run, it is best to wear shoes designed for the type of running you will be doing. There are many different types of running shoes each designed with a different purpose in mind. Having multiple pairs of running shoes ensures that you have the right type of shoe for your terrain.
Additionally, it is a good idea to regularly rotate your shoes giving them time to dry out between runs. Having shoes designed for different purposes means you can run in different terrains and always be a peak performance and safety.
Photo Copyright © BigStockPhoto
Many beginner runners start running without knowing what the basic types of running shoes are. This will not only help them during training, but also to avoid injury.
Below is a list of the 4 basic types of running shoes:
- Motion Control Running Shoes Motion Control running shoes are for people who have low arches or flat feet. These shoes have a wider base of support & have a very firm midsole. Runners with this foot type will usually strike the ground on the outer edge of the foot & then roll in severely as they land. Motion Control running shoes help a runner with this...
Running is a great sport that offers something for almost everyone. Regardless of whether you are running for health or competition, you can run for a few miles or a few hours – there are even races which last a few days! However, regardless of how or why you run there are a few tips that apply to just about everyone.
Tip #1 Start small. Rome wasn’t built in a day and deciding to hit the road and run ten miles when you’ve not run nine, eight, seven, six, or fewer miles is a sure way to injure yourself. Not only that but if you decide to just hit the road without any prior training or buildup you may end up unable to accomplish your goal and end up feeling bad about yourself. Not what running is about at all!
Tip #2 Don’t neglect proper running gear. That includes running bras for the women, support shorts for the men, and well...
#1 Stretch after you run. Many people believe that it’s important to stretch before you run however stretching after you run is significantly more important. What is important to do before you run is to warm your muscles. This can be accomplished by walking for a few minutes. When stretching after your run, you’ll of course want to pay attention to your leg muscles however your neck and back muscles will benefit from a good stretch too. Running uses your core and stretching will help you maintain proper form resulting in less pain.
#2 Take days off. Running every single day will actually cause you more harm than good and cause painful overuse injuries which will inevitably force you to take weeks if not months off from running. If you don’t want to take a day completely off, do some form of exercise that doesn’t require using your running muscles. Lift weights, do yoga or some...
What are the benefits?
A few enterprising running benefits include gaining mental poise, body balance, good night sleep, toned body, dense bones, and compact muscles. Functions of your heart and lungs get smoother and important hormones are secretes that keep your body stress and pain free.
If you are pondering how to start running, you should do it at covering a few hundred meters at start. Increase 100 meters daily till you get to a mile. You can do it on a trail or on the beach; on ragged terrains or even circling a ground. You will be happy to find that running and weight loss go hand in hand. That apart, it also slows down your aging process by flushing out free radicals and infusing rare freshness.
The first and most popular benefit of engaging in running is cardiovascular strengthening. The body experiences an increased demand in oxygen to the muscles resulting to the heart pumping a higher rate of blood through the circulatory system, thus making the heart muscle work. The pumping of blood needs to be done at a higher rate (heart rate) meaning that the heart muscles and the arteries will have to be strengthened to hold the flow.
Running Is Very Good For Your Health
Among the other running health benefits is the reduction of obesity. In most cases the body usually results to storage of fat deposits in different areas as a result of less calorific consumption. Running is an activity that draws energy from the body and in most cases the energy is sourced...
By: Melgrace Abandula
Running is a coordinated and complex move that includes the whole body. Every person runs differently, each has his or her own pace. Running is not just an excellent exercise or a pleasurable activity. It absolutely carries out magnificent health benefits fitting for anyone. Apart from building muscles, running strengthens bones and is an excellent work out for the body.
Among the exceptional health benefits of running is reducing chances of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a bone disease. It is indicative of bone weakness. As the bone structure weakens, it leads to become hollow or medically called as “porous,” thus the term “porosis” is...
- Running is one of the best aerobic exercises and has all the benefits of aerobic exercise: making your heart and lungs stronger and more efficient, ensuring good oxygen and blood flow throughout the body, and enhancing weight loss - which is proven to reduce the risk of heart attack. The psychological benefits of running, like other aerobic exercises, include stress relief and may even cure depression. Research shows that people who jog/run, exercise regularly, generally feel more energetic, creative and happier. Running improves your fitness and stamina. Running forces your heart to enlarge gradually, so exercises will require less effort eventually. A bigger heart and stronger lungs means more oxygen can be delivered to working muscles, more oxygen means more fat can be utilized as energy to exercise for a longer period of time - oxygen is a mandatory requirement for...
2. Running: In the Top 10 List of effective types of exercise we put running in the 2nd position. It is a very good form of exercise. Any fit people can do it to keep a health life. It is also one of the most common forms of exercise. You should always run with an empty stomach and after running you should take some foods and that does will give you a healthy life.